Injured Workers Deserve Protection

Our firm fights to uphold the proud tradition of Wisconsin workers' compensation law.

No legal fees unless we recover benefits for you.

Initial consultations are free.

You have a right to workers’ compensation if you’re hurt at work

On Behalf of | Dec 18, 2017 | Workers' Compensation

You suffered a serious injury on the job. You had been focusing on a task when a coworker dropped a piece of equipment above you. Even though you had a hardhat on, it didn’t protect you from the rapidly dropping item. The impact cracked the hat open and left you with a concussion. Yes, it could have been worse, but still, you have a serious injury to contend with.

You told your boss what happened, and he refused to start a claim. You even went to the hospital with a coworker after it happened, because he was worried that you didn’t look okay. Your boss has claimed you’re unable to file for compensation, but you know better than that.

What do you do if your boss won’t let your file for workers’ compensation?

First, understand that if you get hurt on the job and aren’t an independent contractor, you likely have a right to file a workers’ compensation claim. That compensation is there to protect you in the case that you get hurt. It covers some of your financial losses as well as your medical bills and other needs.

If your boss won’t allow you to file, reach out to the Department of Workers’ Compensation in your area. This department can help you make a claim. You may also wish to contact your attorney to put pressure on your employer to start the claims process.

Not allowing you to make a claim is a violation of your rights as an employee. Your employer is already required to fill out a First Report of Injury document, so if he doesn’t, he’s violating the law.

Regardless of how your employer acts, get the treatment you need as soon as possible. Your health is more important than the claim, and it’s possible to file a lawsuit or seek assistance for workers’ compensation after you are seen by a doctor.